Hand and Power Tools
Aquatic professionals operate hand and power tools that offer tremendous benefit in the maintenance, installation, and repair of equipment and pools. Tools also, however, impart some risks. As a result, it is important to understand best practices to reduce hazards so that tools provide benefit at minimal risk.
Hand and Power Tools training focuses on the following objectives, while the online format allows students to learn at their own pace:
- State general hazards associated with hand and portable power tool use and the safety practices for protecting against these hazards
- Define the different sources of power for tools
- List hazards specific to hand tools and ways to prevent them
- Identify appropriate safety practices for electric and pneumatic tools
- Explain proper use of liquid fuel and powder actuated tools
- Identify safety requirements for using portable abrasive wheel tools
- Describe proper use of operator controls and guards
- Explain when tools must be inspected and what actions to take if damage is found
Successful completion of this 30-minute online course earns a Record of Completion. IACET CEUs are not available for this course.