A Message from Departing CEO Tom Lachocki
Starting a Sabbatical Tomorrow; Being Thankful for Yesterday(s)
It has been an honor to serve as CEO of the National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF) for the last 15 years. I look forward to a sabbatical to recharge my soul, strengthen by body, and expand my mind. The Board of Directors, staff, and successors have my heartfelt wishes foR continued success in helping more people live happier, healthier, and safer lives in and around the water. They have my wish for success and greater impact as they merge with the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals.
I have been blessed with teammates and leaders who have achieved much for those who design, engineer, build, service, operate, research, and regulate swimming pools and spas. I have enjoyed collaboration with so many great people and organizations. What’s more, toghether we have helped millions to have fun, create great memories, and improve their health.
To illustrate how much we have achieved together:
- Over 378,718 professionals in over 100 countries have earned a Certified Pool/Spa Operator® Certification, representing about 5.7 million hours of training since December 2003
- Professionals have taken over 180,000 hours of online training since January 2014
- We elevated science and created a world-class networking event by hosting 15 World Aquatic Health Conferences
- We introduced full-color training materials in Spanish, French, Ukrainian, Russian, and metric, and a DVD book on safety
- We delivered online training through a sophisticated learning management system to bring training to people around the world
- We funded research to understand and reduce drowning, recreational water illness, chemical exposure, disinfection byproducts, and to demonstrate the benefits of immersion and aquatic activity
- We helped over 40,000 people become swimmers to prevent drowning, to open the door to a lifetime of aquatic activity, and to build demand for our industries
- We helped ensure a free, science-based, and consensus-based model aquatic health code by supporting the www.CMAHC.org
- The GENESIS family joined NSPF and experienced three-fold growth since January 2016, and these leaders are transforming the design, engineering, and construction of pools
I am so proud of all you and we have achieved together. Thank you for your support. You have brought great joy and safety to millions. For that, my heart smiles—for you—and for me!
Thomas M. Lachocki, Ph.D.
LinkedIn: Tom Lachocki